Mesothelioma is a type of cancer in the form of a tumor that begins forming in the protective lining/membrane of various internal organs known as the mesothelium; the mesothelium lines primarily the lungs, heart and abdominal cavity.
Mesothelioma is generally caused by environmental and external chemical agents that an individual is exposed to due to their lifestyle e.g. asbestos. It can also be caused by genetic susceptibility, exposure to particular viruses, diseases and conditions as well as exposure to radiation.
CURRENT RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
Our research programs explore new ways to prevent, and better understand mesothelioma and improve its diagnosis and management.
- The hedgehog signalling pathway in mesothelioma
- miRNA in mesothelioma
- The role of fibroblast growth factor 9 (FGF9)
- How genetics affect mesothelioma development
- Nutritional status in mesothelioma
- Exercise as a therapeutic tool in the management of mesothelioma