Stem Cell Therapy
Our research projects are focused on one common goal. To offer the best quality of life to everyone living with a lung condition.
Established in 20011, the Unit is led by Associate Professor Yuben Moodley.
The Unit investigates the potential of stem cells as a therapy for lung diseases. Research is currently focused on asthma, cystic fibrosis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
The Stem Cell Therapy Unit is a combination of both clinical and laboratory staff and collaborates with peers on a local, national and international level.
Dr Moodley is a Respiratory Physician at Fiona Stanley Hospital and Associate Professor of Respiratory Medicine at the University of Western Australia. He has a strong track record in clinical and basic science lung research.
Dr Dino Tan is a post-doctoral research scientist within the Unit and is based at the Royal Perth Hospital Medical Research Foundation building. He has a strong track record in basic science research in the area of immunology, infectious diseases and respiratory.
The research focus for the Unit centres around:
- Molecular mechanism of chronic inflammation
- Identifying biomarkers for lung diseases
- Cell therapies for lung disease
- Inflammation in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Immunological and molecular mechanisms underlying chronic airway diseases
- Host immune defenses against bacterial and viral pathogens
Publications and Findings
- Glaspole IN, Watson AL, Allan H, Chapman S, Cooper WA, Corte TJ, Ellis S, Grainge C, Goh N, Hopkins P, Keir G, Macansh S, Mahar A, Moodley Y, Reynolds PN, Ryerson CJ, Walters EH, Zappala CJ, Holland AE. Determinants and outcomes of prolonged anxiety and depression in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Eur Respir J. 2017 Aug 17;50(2).
- Tan DBA, Armitage J, Teo TH, Ong NE, Shin H, Moodley YP. Elevated levels of circulating exosome in COPD patients are associated with systemic inflammation. Respir Med 2017. doi: 10.1016/j.rmed.2017.04.014.
- Glaspole IN, Chapman SA, Cooper WA, Ellis SJ, Goh NS, Hopkins PM, Macansh S, Mahar A, Moodley YP, Paul E, Reynolds PN, Walters EH, Zappala CJ, Corte TJ. Health-related quality of life in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: Data from the Australian IPF Registry.
Respirology. 2017 Jul;22(5):950-956
- Beers MF, Moodley Y. When Is an Alveolar Type 2 Cell an Alveolar Type 2 Cell? A Conundrum for Lung Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2017 Jul;57(1):18-27
- Jo HE, Glaspole I, Grainge C, Goh N, Hopkins PM, Moodley Y, Reynolds PN, Chapman S, Walters EH, Zappala C, Allan H, Keir GJ, Hayen A, Cooper WA, Mahar AM, Ellis S, Macansh S, Corte TJ. Baseline characteristics of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: analysis from the Australian Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Registry. Eur Respir J. 2017 Feb 23;49(2).
- Tan DB, Teo TH, Setiawan AM, Ong NE, Zimmermann M, Price P, Kirkham LS, Moodley YP. Increased CTLA-4+ T-cells may contribute to impaired Th1 immune responses in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Immunology 2017. doi: 10.1111/imm.12725.
- Tjiam MC, Sariputra L, Armitage JD, Taylor JP, Kelleher AD, Tan DB, Lee S, Fernandez S, French MA. Control of early HIV-1 infection associates with plasmacytoid dendritic cell-reactive opsonophagocytic IgG antibodies to HIV-1 p24. AIDS 2016;30:2757-2765.
- Tan DB, Ong NE, Zimmermann M, Price P, Moodley YP. An evaluation of CD39 as a novel immunoregulatory mechanism invoked by COPD. Hum Immunol 2016;77:916-920.
- Tan DB, Amran FS, Teo TH, Price P, Moodley YP. Levels of CMV-reactive antibodies correlate with the induction of CD28(null) T cells and systemic inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Cell Mol Immunol 2016;13:551-553.
- Moodley Y, Sturm M, Shaw K, Shimbori C, Tan DB, Kolb M, Graham R. Human mesenchymal stem cells attenuate early damage in a ventilated pig model of acute lung injury. Stem Cell Res 2016;17:25-31.
- Saraswati H, Lee S, Tan D, Yunihastuti E, Gani R, Price P. Increased proportions of dendritic cells and recovery of IFNγ responses in HIV/HCV co-infected patients receiving ART. Hum Immunol 2016;77(1):29-34.
- Jo HE, Randhawa S, Corte TJ, Moodley Y. Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis and the Elderly: Diagnosis and Management Considerations.
Drugs Aging. 2016 May;33(5):321-34
- Chung LP, Lake F, Hyde E, McCamley C, Phuangmalai N, Lim M, Waterer G, Summers Q, Moodley Y. Integrated multidisciplinary community service for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease reduces hospitalisations. Intern Med J. 2016 Apr;46(4):427-34.
- Jo HE, Corte TJ, Moodley Y, Levin K, Westall G, Hopkins P, Chambers D, Glaspole I. Evaluating the interstitial lung disease multidisciplinary meeting: a survey of expert centres. BMC Pulm Med. 2016 Feb 1;16:22.
- Tjiam MC, Taylor JP, Morshidi MA, Sariputra L, Burrows S, Martin JN, Deeks SG, Tan DB, Lee S, Fernandez S, French MA. Viremic HIV Controllers Exhibit High Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cell-Reactive Opsonophagocytic IgG Antibody Responses against HIV-1 p24 Associated with Greater Antibody Isotype Diversification. J Immunol 2015;194:5320-5328.
- Moodley Y, Corte T, Richeldi L, King TE Jr. Do all patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis warrant a trial of therapeutic intervention? A pro-con perspective. Respirology. 2015 Apr;20(3):389-94.
- Tan DBA, Fernandez S, Price P, French MA, Thompson PJ, Moodley YP. Impaired function of regulatory T-cells in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Immunobiology 2014;219:975-979.
- Kim K, Perera R, Tan DB, Fernandez S, Seddiki N, Waring J, and French MA. Circulating mycobacterial-reactive CD4+ T cells with an immunosuppressive phenotype are higher in active tuberculosis than latent tuberculosis infection. Tuberculosis 2014; 94:494-501.
- Tan DB, Fernandez S, Price P, French MA, Thompson PJ, Moodley YP. Impaired CTLA-4 responses in COPD are associated with systemic inflammation. Cell Mol Immunol 2014;11:606-608.
- Moodley Y, Goh N, Glaspole I, Macansh S, Walters EH, Chapman S, Hopkins P, Reynolds PN, Zappala C, Cooper W, Mahar A, Ellis S, McCormack S, Darbishire W, Wood-Baker R, Corte TJ; Australian IPF Registry Steering Committee. Australian Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Registry: vital lessons from a national prospective collaborative project. Respirology. 2014 Oct;19(7):1088-91.
- Troy L, Glaspole I, Goh N, Zappala C, Hopkins P, Wilsher M, Moodley Y, Corte T. Prevalence and prognosis of unclassifiable interstitial lung disease. Eur Respir J. 2014 May;43(5):1529-30.
- Kim K, Waterer G, Thomson R, Yang IA, Nashi N, Tan DB, Price P. Levels of anti-cytokine antibodies may be elevated in patients with pulmonary disease associated with non-tuberculous mycobacteria. Cytokine 2014;66(2):160-163.
- Tan DB, Fernandez S, Price P, Moodley YP. The proportion and function of peripheral myeloid-derived suppressor cells do not correlate with systemic inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Hum Immunol 2014;75(1):5-9.
- Ding, H., Karunanithi, M., Kanagasingam, Y., Vignarajan, J., Moodley, Y.P. 2014. A pilot study of a mobile-phone-based home monitoring system to assist in remote interventions in cases of acute exacerbation of COPD. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 20, 3, pp. 128-134.
- Tan, D., Fernández, S.H., Price, P.J.S., Moodley, Y.P. The proportion and function of peripheral myeloid-derived suppressor cells do not correlate with systemic inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Human Immunology, 2014, 75, 1, pp. 5-9.
- Tan, D., Fernández, S.H., Price, P.J.S., French, M.A.H., Thompson, P.J., Moodley, Y.P. Impaired CTLA-4 responses in COPD are associated with systemic inflammation. Cellular and Molecular Immunology 2014, 11, 6, pp. 606-608.
- Tan, D., Fernández, S.H., Price, P.J.S., French, M.A.H., Thompson, P.J., Moodley, Y.P. Impaired function of regulatory T-cells in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Immunobiology 2014, 219, 12, pp. 975-979.
- Moodley Y, Vaghjiani V, Chan J, Baltic S, Ryan M, Tchongue J, Samuel CS, Murthi P, Parolini O, Manuelpillai U. Anti-inflammatory effects of adult stem cells in sustained lung injury: a comparative study. PLoS One 2013;8(8):e69299.
- Kolios, G., Moodley, Y.P. Introduction to stem cells and regenerative medicine. RESPIRATION, 2013, 85, pp. 3-10.
- Moodley, Y., Vaghjiani, V., Chan, J., Baltic, S., Ryan, M., Tchongue, J., Samuel, C.S., Murthi, P., Parolini, O., Manuelpillai, U. Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Adult Stem Cells in Sustained Lung Injury: A Comparative Study. PLoS ONE, 8, 8, pp. e69299 2013.
Prior to 2013
- Tan DBA, Price P. Reply to ‘TLR-2 ligand lipomannan from Mycobacterium tuberculosis does not stimulate inflammatory cytokines in dendritic cells’. AIDS 2012;26:184-1185
- Tan DB, Lim A, Yong YK, Ponnampalavanar S, Omar S, Kamarulzaman A, French MA, Price P. TLR2-induced cytokine responses may characterize HIV-infected patiens experiencing mycobacterial immune restoration disease. AIDS 2011;25:1455-1460.
- Tan DB, Yong YK, Lim A, Tan HY, Kamarulzaman A, French M, Price P. Robust IFNα and IL-12 responses by dendritic cells are related to efficient CD4+ T-cell recovery in HIV patients on ART. Clin Immunol 2011;139:115-121.
- Tan DBA, Yong YK, Tan HY, French M, Kamarulzaman A, Price P. Characteristics of NK cells in Malaysian HIV patients presenting with IRD after ART. J AIDS Clinic Res 2010;1: 102.
- Lim A, Allison C, Tan DBA, Oliver B, Price P, Waterer G. Immunological markers of lung disease due to non-tuberculous mycobacteria. Disease markers 2010;29:103-109.
- Tan DBA, Fernandez S, French M, Price P. Could natural killer cells compensate for impaired CD4+ T-cells responses to CMV in HIV patients responding to antiretroviral therapy? Clin Immunol 2009;132:63-70.
- Tan DBA, Yong YK, Tan HY, Kamarulzaman A, Tan LH, Lim A, James I, French M, Price P. Immunological profiles of immune restoration disease presenting as mycobacterial lymphadenitis and cryptococcal meningitis. HIV Med 2008;9:307-316.
- Price P, Fernandez S, Tan DB, James IR, Keane NM, French MA. Nadir CD4 T-cell counts continue to influence interferon-gamma responses in HIV patients who began antiretroviral treatment with advanced immunodeficiency. JAIDS 2008;49:462-464
- Burcham PC, Kaminskas LM, Tan D, Pyke SM. Carbonyl-scavenging drugs & protection against carbonyl stress-associated cell injury. Mini Rev Med Chem 2008;8:319-330
- Lim A, Tan D, Price P, Kamarulzaman A, Tan HY, James I, French M. Proportions of circulating T-cells with a regulatory cell phenotype increase with HIV-associated immune activation and remain high on antiretroviral therapy. AIDS 2007;21:1525-1534
24. Burcham PC, Raso A, Thompson C, Tan D. Intermolecular protein cross-linking during acrolein toxicity: efficacy of carbonyl scavengers as inhibitors of heat shock protein-90 cross-linking in A549 cells. Chem Res Toxicol 2007;20:1629-1637