A Gift in your Will
COMMON QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
What is a Gift in Will?
A legacy gift is a donation to a charity that is left in your Will. It’s also known as a bequest or gift. Leaving a legacy is a special gift that will help fund research into lung disease and disability, and their continuing impact on the community.
What type of gifts can I include in my Will?
There are a number of ways you can include a gift in your Will:
- A percentage or share of your estate (residual legacy)
- A specific sum of money (pecuniary legacy)
- The whole of your estate
Your solicitor can help you decide which option is the best for you and your family.
What if I need to look after my family?
Your family and loved ones always come first. This is why a residual legacy is a popular choice for those who have included a gift in their Will. A residual legacy gift allows you to first leave gifts to your loved ones and pay any financial commitments, and it automatically adjusts to changes in the value of your Estate over time.
Should I discuss my gift with my loved ones?
Yes, it is important your loved ones know about your gift so they understand why supporting your chosen charity is important to you. It will also help ensure your final wishes are fulfilled.
How will my gift be used by the Institute for Respiratory Health?
Your bequest gift can be used in the following ways:
- Investigating the causes of respiratory diseases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), bronchiectasis, asthma and pulmonary fibrosis. These diseases are considered from a wide variety of perspectives including genetics, cell biology and the extent to which environmental factors contribute to lung disease
- Early lung cancer detection screening program
- Researching occupational lung diseases, such as silicosis and asbestos-related diseases
- Advancing the Adult Cystic Fibrosis Program
- Conducting further research into the role indwelling pleural catheters (IPCs) can play in managing cancer and infection.
- Providing programs and scholarships for Institute for Respiratory Health scientists and students
- We also welcome the opportunity to recognise and acknowledge bequest gifts through named programs and research scholarships.
- A gift left for general purposes will provide the Institute for Respiratory Health with the flexibility needed to respond to research priorities in the future.
If you would like your gift to go towards something specific, please contact us to discuss this.
Do I need to tell you I’ve included a gift in my Will?
We respect your privacy and you have no obligation to share this information with us. However, if you intend on leaving a gift to the Institute, or have already included us in your Will we would love to hear from you. Please feel free to contact Sarah Cermak at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 6151 0815.
We sincerely thank you for your generosity and would welcome the opportunity to share news of our research with you.