Coronavirus weekly update
Five things you need to know about the coronavirus today:
- The WA border opens tomorrow with about 8,000 arrivals expected to stream through Perth airport.
- WA reported 1770 COVID cases on Wednesday — the first significant spike in five days — and no increase in hospitalisations. It brought the number of active cases to 6979, but there are only 16 coronavirus positive patients in hospital and none are in intensive care. The jump in daily case numbers comes after a rise in PCR tests on Tuesday to 14,545.
- Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, tests positive to the coronavirus.
- The Government has set aside $66.8 million for businesses that have seen at least a 50 per cent reduction in turnover in any four-week period since the start of the year, compared to the same period last year.
- New at home coronavirus pill is now available to vulnerable people. Antiviral pill Lageviro, also known as molnupiravir, has been listed on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, slashing the cost for those at high risk