Cystic Fibrosis Unit
The Cystic Fibrosis and Bronchiectasis Unit conducts clinical and laboratory research into these serious respiratory conditions. The dedicated team is committed to assisting in the search for new and improved treatments and providing high-quality care for patients with cystic fibrosis and bronchiectasis.
The group has an excellent track record in attracting competitive research grants, both from Australian and international sources.
The Cystic Fibrosis Research Group are recognised as world leaders and have an extensive collaborative network with the leading researchers in cystic fibrosis throughout Australia and internationally.
The Cystic Fibrosis and Bronchiectasis Unit is made up of a multi-disciplinary team of doctors, nurses, physiotherapists and allied health staff.
Current research projects
- Airway Clearance
- High Intensity Interval Training
- Infection with Clostridium difficile
- The Gut Microbiome
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
The CF Research Unit has several highlights for 2017/18. These include:
- Dr Anna Tai was awarded the Thoracic Society Australia and New Zealand Vertex Adult Cystic Fibrosis Fellowship for 2017/18.
- Wood J, Jenkins S, Putrino D, Mulrennan S, Morey S, Cecins N, Hill K. A smartphone application for reporting symptoms in adults with cystic fibrosis: protocol of a randomised controlled trial. BMJ Open. 2018 Apr 21;8(4):e021136.
- Wood J, Sawyer A, Mulrennan S, Bullock A. Respiratory exacerbation in a young adult with cystic fibrosis and tricuspid atresia. Respirol Case Rep. 2018 Apr 1;6(5):e00318.
- Mulrennan S, Knuiman M, Walsh JP, Hui J, Hunter M, Divitini M, Zhu K, Cooke BR, Musk AWB, James A. Vitamin D and respiratory health in the Busselton Healthy Ageing Study. 2018 Jun;23(6):576-582.
- Wood J, Jenkins S, Putrino D, Mulrennan S, Morey S, Cecins N, Hill K. High usability of a smartphone application for reporting symptoms in adults with cystic fibrosis. J Telemed Telecare. 2018 Sep;24(8):547-552.
Tai AS, Morey S. The open door policy – An important and under-recognised activity of the adult CF centre. J Cyst Fibros. 2018 Sep;17(5):558-559. doi: 10.1016/j.jcf.2018.07.004. Epub 2018 Aug 9. No abstract available.
- Wee BA, Tai AS, Sherrard LJ, Ben Zakour NL, Hanks KR, Kidd TJ, Ramsay KA, Lamont I, Whiley DM, Bell SC, Beatson SA. Whole-genome sequencing reveals the emergence of a Pseudomonas aeruginosa shared strain sub-lineage among patients treated within a single cystic fibrosis centre. BMC Genomics. 2018 Aug 30;19(1):644. doi: 10.1186/s12864-018-5018-x.
- The Good Days & Bad Days
- Bacterial infection deadly for cystic fibrosis patients
- COPD Research
- Helping patients with advanced mesothelioma, lung and breast cancer breathe easier
- Professor Gary Lee named Cancer Researcher of the Year
- How immune cells respond to signals from damaged lung cells
- John's story
- Thanks to our HBF heroes $14,494 was raised for research!
- 2018 Glenn Brown Memorial Grant Winner
- Melbourne Cup 2018 Highlights
Help us continue our vital research by making a donation today.