Occupational and Respiratory Health Unit
The Occupational and Respiratory Health Group conducts clinical research into clinical and epidemiological aspects of occupational (particularly asbestos) related lung disease, mesothelioma and the detection of early lung cancer using low dose CT scans.
The dedicated team is committed to assisting in the search for new and improved treatments and providing high-quality care for patients with lung cancer and occupational-related respiratory diseases.
The group has an excellent track record in attracting competitive research grants, both from Australian and international sources.
The Occupational and Respiratory Health Group are recognised as world leaders and have an extensive collaborative network with the leading researchers in lung cancer screening throughout Australia and internationally.
- Cancer Council WA grant awarded to Professor Fraser Brims for a phase II feasibility study comparing primary care vs. hospital-based follow up after curative surgery for patients with non-small cell lung cancer.
- Cancer Council WA grant awarded to Professor Fraser Brims for research into cancer-related weight loss in patients with mesothelioma.
Current research projects
Asbestos Review Program
International Lung Screen Trial
- Reid A, Franklin P, Berry G, Peters S, Sodhi-Berry N, Brims F, Musk AW, de Klerk NH. Are children more vulnerable to mesothelioma than adults? A comparison of mesothelioma risk among children and adults exposed non-occupationally to blue asbestos at Wittenoom. Occup Environ Med. 2018 Dec;75(12):898-903.
- Reid A, Franklin P, de Klerk N, Creaney J, Brims F, Musk B, Pfau J. Autoimmune antibodies and asbestos exposure: Evidence from Wittenoom, Western Australia. Am J Ind Med. 2018 Jul;61(7):615-620.
- Manners D, Wilcox H, McWilliams A, Piccolo F, Liira H, Brims F. Current lung cancer screening practice amongst general practitioners in Western Australia: a cross-sectional study. Intern Med J. 2018 Jan;48(1):78-80.
- Reid A, Merler E, Peters S, Jayasinghe N, Bressan V, Franklin P, Brims F, de Klerk NH, Musk AW. Migration and work in postwar Australia: mortality profile comparisons between Australian and Italian workers exposed to blue asbestos at Wittenoom. Occup Environ Med. 2018 Jan;75(1):29-36.